Pages



Saturday, April 25, 2015

Sometimes you just have to say, WTF! - (this is G-rated, I promise)

Last Wednesday after work and before dance class, I was supposed to be resting since my flight home from my business trip the night before got in so late.  I wasn't supposed to be starting a new sewing project.  But, sometimes you just have to say, WTF.

Last week, if I was supposed to be working on any sewing projects, I should have been finishing some winter-themed projects in the hopes that I could wear them a couple of times before it gets blazing hot here in NYC.  But, sometimes you just have to say, WTF.

In my stash, I had a nice home dec, black and white polka dot fabric that I purchased from Ikea a couple of years ago.  Originally it was supposed to be a dress, then I changed my mind and thought it should be a spring coat.  Then I flopped back to thinking it should be a dress again.  But, sometimes you just have to say, WTF.

Sometimes you just have to go with you sewing mood, even if it means forgoing sleep, and changing you mind about what a cut of fabric was originally intended to be.  In short, you just have to say, WTF.

Last week, I did it.  I just said, WTF: What the Falda!  And here is my new falda:





I used Butterick 6102, a "fast and easy" pattern; and it was just that.  This came together in about one night, after cutting.  Also, I cut my usual size 12, and it fit perfectly.


I didn't worry about matching, but it just worked! I also didn't press my pleats all the way down.  I wanted the skirt to have a more of a full look.

If you're making view A or B, one note about construction, it's important to mark and pin the pleats.  Because the pleats will be sewn (they are not tucks) there is a little bit of precision required here.  It's simple; but I found that with a little bit of marking, I didn't make a mistake up-front and have to rip out later.

Markings on the right side

Markings on the wrong side
I just pinned the stitch line, but you could also draw in the stitch line before pinning and finally sewing.
When I was looking in my closet to find something to wear with this new falda, I came across so many options!  This skirt is like a neutral and can be worn so many ways.  Even though there are more, here are 5:







I love my new falda!  Now it's on to finishing some wintery projects so I can begin some spring/summer sewing.

Hasta Pronto!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished