Friday, November 28, 2014

Turkey Dress #2, Simplicity #1651 - Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

After a hiatus of a year, I'm back in blog-land.  I will explain my absence in a later post, but for now - Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

My most recent make is Turkey Dress #2 or Simplicity 1651 completed just in time for Thanksgiving dinner with Professor R. at the Round Table restaurant in the Algonquin Hotel.

Turkey Dress #2
I love how this turned out and how easy it was to make.  Simplicity 1651 is one of the company's "Project Runway" offerings.  The pattern is fun since it allows you to mix and match different bodice and sleeve styles with either a slim or a full skirt.  Because my fabric is so busy, I chose a basic bodice with the full skirt.

It's about a 1/4 or 1/2 circle.

I purchased the fabric at Jo-Ann's.  I had seen this type of fabric before and really wanted to make something from it but it intimidated me, for some reason.  Finally, I overcame my fear when I realized that this rusty orange would be perfect for Thanksgiving dinner out with Professor R.

Here's the skinny on the fabric.  Ribbon strips with these little circles are sewn in rows onto a non-stretch, mesh backing.  I think in green it might make a fun mermaid costume.  To my surprise and relief, it was fairly easy to handle and to sew.

Some changes I made to the pattern:

  • I used the v-neck bodice option but raised the neckline several inches to create a jewel neckline.
  • Folded out the bust dart and moved it to the waist.  Because of the busy fabric, I thought minimizing the darts would be less distracting.
  • I normally sew a size 10 in the top and grade out to a size 12 at the high hip.  Since this was made to wear at Thanksgiving dinner, I graded out to a size 12 after the bust.  I had to make room for turkey and pie, after all!
  • Clipped some of the circles within the darts and seam lines to reduce bulk and to prevent "half circles" from peeking out of the seams.
  • Raised the back v-neck by 2 inches (no bra buckle showing here!) and pinched out 2 inches from the side back of the bodice tapering to 1/2 inch at the armhole.  The fit was super loose without these adjustments.  I highly recommend doing a muslin of the bodice if you decide to make up this pattern.
  • Adjusted the zipper to begin at the top of the left armhole instead of sewing 2 inches below the armhole then adding the zip as the instructions dictate.
  • Added lining since the fabric would be too sheer without.
All in all, this is a fun dress to make, and I look forward to sewing some of the other options soon.  I kept the accessories minimal but got a manicure to match.

Have a great holiday weekend and Hasta pronto! - I promise.

Blog Design by Get Polished