Pages



Monday, April 6, 2015

Easter Chick(a)

Hola,

I hope you all had a lovely Easter.  I had a great time with some of my peeps (couldn't resist that one).  On Easter here in NYC, traffic is blocked off to cars on 5th Ave. in front of St. Patrick's Cathedral, and New Yorkers head out and parade their Easter/Spring finery.

My Easter concoction was one that has been germinating in my mind for some time, and I finally completed it - even if I had to stay up until the wee hours Saturday night.

Easter on 5th Ave.

The pattern for the dress is from Patrones "Fiesta," No. 297.  Patrones is a Spanish sewing pattern magazine, and a very dear friend brought me an issue a few years ago.  The dress was fairly easy to sew up but was a little time consuming because of its many details like pin tucks on the bodice and skirt as well as cuffed sleeves and a collar.  The fit was pretty amazing right from the pattern.  I made a muslin when I started the project a couple of years ago, and was amazed that I didn't have any issues with the fit around the armholes.  It seems with the big four pattern companies, that area is almost always problematic for me.  The fabric is a pink rose brocade that was purchased several years ago at New York Elegant Fabrics.  If you've never been, I highly suggest it when you're in NYC.  It's very well organized, they have incredible stock, and almost each roll of fabric comes with little swatches that you can just pull off and take with you.  The staff there is also really helpful, and unlike many other places in the garment district, they know their stock.

The hat was made from Doublette crepe paper using this tutorial.  It's basically a giant flower that I pinned into my bun.

Me with the Rockettes!  I always wanted to be a Rockette.  I would even have settled just to play one on TV.

An Easter Mimosa
Close-up of the dress's bodice with my bee pin.  On the right side of the pic, you can see that I finished the inside of the collar with pink bias binding.
Close-up of the flower. The crepe paper was too fragile to pin my bee pin into, so the bee was close to my bonnet.


This was probably one of the most elaborate things I've made, but I just love it.  During construction, I was a little worried that my dress might turn out to be a bit too "little bo peep" (ay, can you imagine me herding sheep), but in the end I think it looks elegante.

Now it's on to finishing some winter sewing that has been languishing on the table before I head into spring sewing.  

Did you sew something special for Easter?  Are you still sewing winter or have you transitioned into spring?

Happy spring and hasta pronto!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished