Pages



Thursday, January 22, 2015

Cabo Boda

 Last week my friends Erin and Chris got married in Cabo, and Professor R. and I attended.  Congratulations to the happy couple!

Well, I couldn't resist sewing up something special for their big day, and here's what I created:




Lately I've been taken by the Dolce and Gabbana lace dresses from fall/winter 2013, I believe.

Photo found on: imgkid.com
Photo from Etsy via Pinterest


This fuchsia lace (yeah, it looks a little red in the pics.) has been living in my stash for some time, and this was the perfect opportunity to break it out.  What's special about this dress is that it's the second dress I've made using my custom sleeve pattern which I created from Suzy Furrer's Craftsy class.  If you haven't taken her classes, I can't recommend them strongly enough.  Given that the entire dress was drafted according to my measurements, it fits like a dream and is muy comfortable.


View with accessories and Dolce & Gabbana inspired, me made sunglasses

Baby got back!

I finished the neckline with silk material that I used for the slip and simply turned up the hems on the sleeves and bottom of the dress and hand-sewed in place.

The models in the Dolce and Gabbana runway photos just wore bras and chonies underneath the dresses.  That's just a leeettle bit too much skin for me.  So for underneath, I made a slip using Kwik Sew, 3554.  Although this pattern calls for knit fabrics, I used silk charmeuse.  This fabric turned out to be a little diablito (yes, that's redundant).  The fabric is fairly slippery and gave me the business during the cutting phase.  In fact, I think there's a bit in the back that may have been cut a little off grain as the fabric ripples mid-back.  However, since I'm going to wear it as an under slip, I'm not too bothered. 

I sewed the slip with half an inch seam allowances as opposed to the one quarter seam allowances which are included with the pattern.  Also, because I used a non-stretch fabric, I inserted an invisible zipper for easy on and off.  I remember seeing vintage slips in resale shops several years ago, and they were all sewn with zippers - perhaps because there weren't as many stretch fabrics then as there are now.  Sorry I don't have a pic., but I'm pleased that I now have a well-fitting slip pattern!

In keeping with the Dolce and Gabbana fall/winter 2013 theme, I accessorized with gold cross jewelry that I purchased on Etsy.   The Maltese cross pendant came from OneCharmingTreasure, and  the cross earrings are a creation of GraceYinglingJewelry.  I think both are just gorgeous.



The wedding was so much fum, and it was so wonderful to have some warm weather in the dead of winter!

Prof. R. and me at the sunset cocktail hour


Hasta pronto!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished