Pages



Monday, March 14, 2016

Happy Pi Day! - Butterick 5982 for my sister

Happy PI Day!  Yes, it's 3/14/16 or 3.14.  In the sewing world, its the day we celebrate the number that helps us make circle skirts.  For my sister, who is a math teacher, it's a day to teach students about this nifty number.

And here she is in her dress for this special day made by me:


I actually made this for her last year for "Epic PI Day."  It was "epic" last year because the planets aligned to our modern calendar and our modern system of the 12 hour clock so that ten digits would be represented at exactly 9:26:53 (pi=3.141592653).  She was so busy last year with epic pi day weekend, she didn't get a chance to grab some shots in her dress.  Not wanting to wait another hundred years for the next "Epic" pi day, I asked her to take some photos on this regular old non-epic one.

I think she looks great!  The pattern I used is Butterick 5982, which includes multiple cup sizes (A/B, C and D), so I was able to get a good fit for my California sister all the way from New York.  I also had my mom measure her figure points prior to sewing, so I knew I would be on the right track for fit.  I made view A, which is sleeveless.  I have made view C with sleeves (unblogged), but I had the usual commercial pattern issue with not being able to raise my arms comfortably.  Because of this issue, I went sleeveless for this make.  I'll work on adjusting the pattern to use in the future as it's a really easy and cute dress.

Don't you love the fabric?  It's called "Pieces of Pi," and I ordered it from Spoonflower in the gray and black color way.  They have versions with other colors, but I thought this would pop, especially with the belt "buckle."  The sewing pattern includes instructions for a cute bow belt, but I used some felt to create a snazzy white felt "Pi" to match the trim and the white pi's in the fabric.  She absolutely loves it!

Here she is with some students in what looks to be their me made "Pi" wear:


We're going to have pizza tonight in honor of pi day (actually, I'm just too lazy to cook tonight).  How did you celebrate pi day?

Hasta pronto!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished