Pages



Sunday, February 21, 2016

Tova Chica - Wiksten Tova Dress

I have a Tova!  The Wiksten Tova, to be exact.  I made this up quite quickly a few weeks ago.  Like everyone else who made this has stated, it’s a pretty fun and quick sew.  I used the downloaded version, and it was even quicker to cut and tape together since I enlisted the help of a little chica I was babysitting on MLK day. 




Do any of you use your children to help with taping together downloaded patterns?  I think I might have to babysit again sometime soon since I have a Burda dress and coat project in my queue, and I’m sure that will be a huge pattern to tape together.  An extra pair of hands might just help speed putting the pattern together.

The Tova is a very straightforward make and an easy sew.  I noticed just two minor cons: one is the 3/8” seam allowance.  I serged the edges of the pieces before I sewed them, since I felt there would hardly be a way to serge them after sewing.  The second gripe is one I have with many other independent patterns – they don’t include figure points (bust apex, waistline and hip line).  Since I use a custom basic blouse pattern on tag board (I made it years ago in an in-person Suzy Furrer pattern drafting class) to aid with fitting, I just have to guess where the bust, waist and hip are located on a pattern that doesn't indicate figure points.

However, these are just small cons in the grand scheme of things.  This is a fun and quick make.  It also doesn’t need as much fabric for the dress as indicated.  I think I used about 2 1/2 yards, and I have some scraps leftover.  That pattern instructions state you need 3 - 31/2 yards, so you might need just a yard less, if your fabric is 60" wide.  I did a test layout before I started cutting just to be sure and was super excited when I realized I had enough of this fabric for my Tova.



I purchased the fabric at my old haunt, Fabrix, in San Francisco on a trip home a few years ago.  I was mad for this fabric but only bought about 2 yards of it.  Not sure why I did that, since I really liked it, but oh, well.  For about 2 years in a row, I've pulled it out each winter, but couldn’t find the perfect pattern for it.  I wasn’t sure that the Tova would work either, since it states that 3 - 31/2  yards is required.  However, I made it work with some to spare.  To add some interest I cut the front yoke and sleeve and collar bands on the bias.  I like this look with the plaid.



I need to wear something underneath, since the wool is just a touch itchy, but
the end result is a fun stylish dress that gives you tummy room without making you look pregnant, at least I hope this is the case. 


Hasta pronto!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished