Pages



Monday, January 11, 2016

Ghost of Christmas Past in Butterick 6018 and a Simple New Year's Resolution

Happy New Year!  

Today I'm sharing  my 2015 Christmas dress!





It's Butterick 6018 minus the sleeve cuffs and front buttons.  This was a super quick sew.  I woke up early Christmas morning cut the pattern, and had it finished by 4PM, in time to get things ready for our Christmas dinner with friends.  





It's not perfect by any means.  I used my upper body and sleeve sloper to draft the top portion, but something went wrong.  The sleeves are a bit tight in the upper area, and I'm not sure why.  This isn't usually the problem when I use my custom made slopers and is why I use them instead of the pattern.  Since I didn't have time to figure out the issue, I didn't attach the cuffs thinking that I might have to mess with the sleeves to get them just right.  I'm now thinking that I'll save this alteration for next year.





Check out the fabric!!!  





I was originally thinking I would make a red and white striped Christmas dress like the vintage card on Heather B's. blog, but I couldn't find any red and white striped fabric, anywhere.  On a trip to San Francisco just before Christmas, I went to one of my old haunts, Fabric Outlet, and I saw the fabric!  I have to believe it was created with this card as inspiration.  



My favorite "scene" is the two ladies facing each other while one blows out a candle on a Christmas cake.

You may have noticed my hat.  It is entirely me-made and very obviously so.  But, I like how it turned out.  I was trying to create a Christmas peppermint.  

Over the holidays, I wore it any chance I could with different types of outfits to all different types of events (even grocery shopping on Christmas Eve).  I was a little sad when I had to tuck it away for next year in my hat box.






Finally, in the spirit of New Year's resolutions, I will share mine.  I will not buy any new fabric in 2016.  I can't believe I just wrote that, but I have to sew my stash.  Here's what I've got: I have 4 large plastic storage tubs in my closet, on top of which sit two extra large vacuum bags so full of fabric that they can't be closed.  Wedged in between those bags are two large shopping bags and one medium sized vacuum bag all bursting with fabric.  But wait, it goes on.  I have an under the bed storage container full of unfinished projects, one dresser drawer devoted to fabric and a large tote bag underneath my sewing table with some recent fabric purchases.  Aaauuggghh!!  I have to stop buying fabric.  Sometimes I feel like I'm being swallowed by it.  Not as bad as the hoarder people who have to crawl through and jump over things to leave their houses, but for our 1 bedroom New York apartment, it's getting tight.  

The only exemption to my resolution is lining fabric that I might need to complete a project to get the stash fabric into a garment.  Notions, zippers, interfacing, etc., I'm not counting as new fabric purchases, so those are all allowed.

I need to remember how excited I was when I purchased a cut of fabric and what I wanted to make with it or what I'm inspired to make with it now.  Then, I need to execute and complete the project.  Have you made any New Year's resolutions?  If so, what are they?

Hasta pronto!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished