Pages



Friday, October 4, 2013

And Baby Makes 3 - well, uh okay, 4


 I have a new sewing machine! 



It's the Janome Jem Gold 660.  Isn't it cute?  It weights just 12 lbs.!  I'm so excited to begin using this machine after combing the web and reading several great reviews about it. 

So, why do I need a new sewing machine when I already own 3?  My husband is definitely wondering about this one.  Well, I travel extensively for my job - this week I'll be gone starting Sunday morning and won't be back until next Friday.  Then I repeat that schedule for the next week, etc.  That's just too long to be away from my sewing projects.  In planing my fall travel schedule I thought to myself, why not bring my sewing projects with me? 

My usual workhorse, which I love dearly, is my Bernina Virtuosa 150.  It works like a dream.  However, I took it with me on my last business trip, and it was quite heavy to lug around and to put into the overhead bin.  Plus, I was a bit nervous about it getting damaged as the only case I have to carry it in doesn't have any padding.




My second sewing machine is actually my first, that wasn't a hand-me-down, the Bernina 1001.  While not a computerized machine, this little cutie is a strong performer.  It's all metal and has never given me any issues.  However, this machine does not live with me in New York.  Since I have a second home in San Francisco (which used to be my first home), and I spend a fair amount of time there during the calendar year, I decided to leave it there (in the hands of a great friend, of course) to use when I'm visiting.

That brings us up to machine number three, my Elna 945 serger.


Again, another fabulous machine, but also not very transportable. 

Research on the web suggested the Janome Gem Gold 660 would be a good choice for those needing to transport machines and with an 8 stitch capability (including 2 stretch stitches) plus a buttonhole stitch, I doubt I'll be lacking stitch variety while I'm on the road.  Plus, it only weighs 12 lbs., did I mention that already?  12 lbs!  I can definitely lift that into an overhead or sling it on top of my suitcase and roll the two together.

I'm so excited to start using this little machine on my fall projects!  I'll post my own assessment of it after I've used it a bit, so stay tuned.

What machine do you use for sewing?  Do you have a machine you use specifically for travel?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished