Pages



Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Winter Dressing in Spring

Hola,

Today the spring weather was wintry - low 40's to be exact.  On such a chilly day, I chose to wear my rendition of Vogue 8825, version A, the tunic version.



I'm not sure what this fabric is as it has been sitting in my stash for years.  It's a slubby, textured stretch fabric; and judging by the way it itches, I think it's wool or at least partly wool.  I'm sorry that I did not see the advice of the chicas who have sewn this before me until after the fact, because I have very similar critiques in my version.  Firstly, the sleeves are way too long/too blousy at the ends.  You can see in the picture how they billow out just above the cuffs.  There's supposed to be some extra fabric here, but on my frame, it just looks like the sleeves are way too long.  To remedy it on this version, I could simply remove the cuffs and replace them higher up on the sleeve.  However, I'm not sure if I'm really going to keep this, so I may not even bother.

Because I hate it when sashes shift around, I created some belt loops and inserted these at the waist.  Now the sash stays put when I sit, walk or move around.


I think you can really see how ill fitting the sleeves look from the back.

What doesn't stay put is the top.  It's hard to see in the photos, but this is a surplice neckline.  In the pictures you can't see my light grey silk thermal top underneath (yes, it was cold enough, but I also needed something between my skin and the itchy fabric).  However, after usual daily activities like riding on the subway, climbing stairs and walking, the neckline gaped.  Luckily on this April day, I had on my overcoat, so passersby didn't see my flannels.  If I were to make this again, I'd have to make some kind of adjustment in the bodice to prevent this.  I do hate pinning these things closed.  The pin always seems to show on the front, no matter how carefully I pin.  Then, I forget that I've pinned it and end up ripping the garment when I pull it over my head to take it off.

Do you have any ideas about how to alter a surplice or mock wrap top pattern to prevent gapage?

Hasta pronto!
I went to the gym one day this week and it's already going to my head.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished